Transfer to Secondary School September 2018


If your child is currently in year six at a junior or primary school you will need to apply for a place in year seven at a secondary school for September 2018.  The deadline for applications is 31 October 2017.  


All of the information you need to consider when applying and what happens next can be found in the Transfer to Secondary School - September 2018 Booklet.

Please read this information before applying for a place so that you understand how the admissions process works including how places will be allocated.

You may also find the Frequently Asked Questions page useful.

How do I apply? 

You can apply online for a school place using the link below:

Apply online for a secondary school place

If you need technical support for the online applications system please contact the helpline on 01872 322030.

Please note: If you have received a letter providing you with a UID to use during the application process, due to a recent software update the application system does not always prompt for this UID.  If that is the case, please continue with creating a new application and disregard the UID.

For help completing the application, understanding the process or other  aspects of school admissions, or if your family's first language is not English,  please contact the Family Information Service on 0800 587 8191 or at

Special Educational Needs

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan) or a Statement of Special Educational Needs, you do not need to complete an application form as a school place will be identified through a separate process.  However, if a request has been made for an EHC needs assessment for your child, or your child is currently being assessed to decide whether an EHC Plan is necessary, you will need to make an application using the normal process.  Please contact the Statutory SEN Team for more information on 01872 324242 or via email:

How places will be allocated

It is important that you are aware of how applications will be ranked and places allocated at your preferred schools.  Please visit the Admission Arrangements page for more details. 

Moving to/from Cornwall

If you are currently living outside Cornwall and want to apply for a school place within the County your application must be made via your home local authority. However, if you have a confirmed address in Cornwall, evidenced by either a signed rental agreement or completed proof of purchase, you can apply direct to Cornwall Council.

Similarly, if you live in Cornwall and wish to apply for a school in another county, your application must be made via Cornwall Council unless you have evidence of an address as stated above.

National Offer Day

If you submit an application by 31 October 2017 you will be sent a letter in the post on 1 March 2018 telling you which school you have been  allocated.  If you opted through the online application system to also be notified by email, you will receive this on 1 March 2018.