Frequently Asked Questions - Admissions 2018

Please note that when our lines are busy it may take some time to get through to one of our advisers.  You may find it easier to see if your question is answered below or to email us:

What if I am having trouble with the online application system?

The helpline number for online technical queries is 01872 322030 or you can email

What if my child has an Education, Health and Care Plan or Statement of Special Educational Needs?

Parents/carers with a child who has an Education Health and Care Plan or Statement of Special Educational Needs do not need to apply for a school place this year – they need to speak to the Statutory SEN Team to discuss the transition to school

Where can I find out more about how the admissions process works?

There is a wealth of information in the admissions booklets:

When/how will I find out which school my child has been allocated?

If you applied on time (by 31 October 2017 for Secondary Transfer and 15 January 2018 for Reception and Junior Transfer) you will find out your allocation as follows:

Transfer to Secondary School: 1 March 2018
Starting School (reception admissions): 16 April 2018
Transfer to
Junior School: 16 April 2018

If you submit an application by the closing date for applications (31 October 2017 for Secondary Transfer and 15 January 2018 for Reception and Junior Transfer) you will be sent a letter in the post on the date above telling you which school you have been allocated. If you opted through the online application system to also be notified by email, you will receive this on the date above.

What if I have changed my mind?

If you change your mind before the application deadline (31 October 2017 for Secondary Transfer and 15 January 2018 for Reception and Junior Transfer) you can log back in to the online application system and change your preferences - but you must remember to resubmit your application.  If you have submitted a paper application please put your change in writing to the School Admissions Team.

If you have submitted your application and the deadline has now passed but you wish to express a preference for a different school(s), please put your request in writing to the School Admissions Team.  Please note that your changed preference(s) would be processed as a late application unless it is received before the exceptional deadline stated in the information booklet above (after which the allocation process will begin).

What about school uniform?

A school’s governing body are responsible for the school’s policy on uniform. For more information please contact the school.  Cornwall Council does not provide a uniform grant.

What about school transport?

Please go to the School Transport web pages for information.

If you have received a letter to confirm that your child is eligible for school or college transport but have not yet received your bus pass or travel arrangements, you will need to contact the Passenger Transport Unit. Email