Home Page Council News Room Site Map Ask a question Website - information and help Listening and Learning: Compliments, comments and complaints Access Keys

College transport for 16-19 year olds

Transport for students in Further Education

Although Local Authorities are not required to provide free home to school/college transport for students in Further Education, Cornwall Council operates a policy of subsidised travel to Further Education for students aged between 16–19 (21 for students with special educational needs). The cost of subsidised transport is £327 for the 2013/14 academic year.


You can find out more about the scheme by following the links below, or you may wish to read the full Post-16 Transport Policy Statement.

To apply for subsidised transport in 2013/14, please apply online or complete and return the application form to:

Transport Commissioning TeamEast 0New County HallTruroTR1 3AY

Email: pupiltransport@cornwall.gov.uk

Please note the deadline for applications to be processed on time for the start of the Autumn term was the 9th August 2013. Applications received after this date will be dealt with as soon as possible. 

Cornwall College Students – All students studying at one of the Cornwall College campuses (excluding Duchy College Rosewarne or Duchy College Stoke Climsland) should apply via the College in the first instance using the College’s own application form (www.cornwall.ac.uk/transport) as a discounted rate applies, funded by the College.

Use these quick links to jump to questions and answers that provide further information on Cornwall Council’s current policy.

To qualify for subsidised transport for the academic year 2013/14 you must be:

  • Under 19 years of age on 1 September 2013 or aged nineteen if you started your programme of learning before your nineteenth birthday*.
  • A full time student attending a course for the 3 terms of the 2013/14 academic year.
  • Living more than 3 miles away from the nearest school sixth form or college that offers your chosen programme of study

*Special educational needs students must be under 21 years of age on 1 September 2013

The Council will seek to provide suitable transport using the most cost effective method utilising public transport (trains and buses), contract buses, taxis and volunteer drivers. On occasions the Local Authority may offer a travel allowance for students to make their own way to school/college,  where this is the most cost effective suitable method. The allowance is paid at 25 pence per mile.

Transport is provided to and from the school/college at scheduled start and end times Monday to Friday. Transport will not be scheduled to accommodate each individual student’s course timetable or extra circular activities.

Specialist transport such as by taxi or accessible minibus will only be provided where supporting evidence identifies the need to do so.

Evidence may take the form of letters of support from a doctor, social worker, educational psychiatrist/psychologist or other professional bodies. The information provided on a Learning Needs Assessment (section 139a) will also be considered. Once this has been approved by the Transport Commissioning Team, the Council’s Passenger Transport Unit will usually decide the mode of transport to be provided and whether a passenger assistant needs to be deployed.

Contract vehicle capacity does not always match the number of passengers to be conveyed, there are sometimes spare places.

A spare seat on a vehicle under contract to the Council may be allocated to a student ineligible for automatic placement on the subsidised travel schemes on payment of the required fare (£327 per year for 2013/14). These students travel as Concessionary riders. The spare places are allocated on a ‘first come, first served’ basis.

The Concessionary Rider scheme does not start until 1st October each year when bus loadings are settled. You must arrange and fund your own transport to your sixth form or college until a Concessionary Scheme seat is allocated.

To enquire about a Concessionary Rider seat, please contact the CSF Transport Officer on 0300 1234 101 or email pupiltransport@cornwall.gov.uk. To apply for a Concessionary Rider seat complete the application form.

Note: The scheme only applies to vehicles under contract; it does not apply to public service buses or trains.

Some individual schools and colleges run their own transport schemes and students (including those ineligible for subsidised transport provided by Cornwall Council) may choose to apply for transport under those schemes instead of via Cornwall Council.

A brief summary of these schemes is given below. For full details please contact the relevant school/college.

Cornwall College (campuses at Pool, St Austell, Newquay, Falmouth and Saltash)

Alongside the Cornwall Council routes, Cornwall College runs its own contracted routes available to students living more than three miles from the College campus at a cost of £300 per year for 2013/14.

The College also further subsidises the cost of transport for students using routes under the Cornwall Council scheme so that the cost to all students is £300 per year for 2013/14.

Further details and how to apply are available at www.cornwall.ac.uk/transport or from the Cornwall College Central Transport Office on 01726 226404 / 01726 226618.

Duchy College (Rosewarne and Stoke Climsland Campuses)

Duchy College runs its own contracted routes to its campuses at both Rosewarne and Stoke Climsland. As part of the Cornwall College group the cost to students is £300 per year for 2013/14.

Further details and how to apply are available at http://www.duchy.ac.uk/ or by telephone on 01579 372207 (Stoke Climsland) or 01209 722135 (Rosewarne).

Truro and Penwith College

Truro and Penwith College runs its own bus pass scheme in conjunction with First Devon and Cornwall Ltd. The scheme is open to all students and the cost of a pass is £390 a year for 2013/14. The Truro and Penwith College Bus Pass can also be used on Evenings, Weekends and Holidays after 9am for any First Service in Cornwall.

Further details and how to apply are available at

www.truro-penwith.ac.uk/further-education/bursary-and-bus-passes or from Truro College on 01872 267003 or Penwith College on 01736 335165

Budehaven Community School

Budehaven Community School has an arrangement with the First Group whereby students can purchase weekly, monthly, termly or yearly passes via the School for the X9 Holsworthy to Bude service with a 10% discount off the pass price.  

The 16-19 Bursary Fund is provided by the Government to support the most financially disadvantaged 16-19 year olds with the cost of staying in education or training. The fund is administered by schools, colleges and other establishments. To be eligible to receive a 16-19 Bursary in the 2013/14 academic year, the young person must be aged 16 or over and under 19 on 31 August 2013. Where a young person turns 19 during their programme of study, they can continue to be supported to the end of the academic year in which they turn 19, or to the end of the programme of study, whichever is sooner.

Defined vulnerable groups are eligible for an annual bursary award of £1,200 a year.

These groups are:

  • Young people in care
  • Young people who are care leavers
  • Young people in receipt of Income support or Universal Credit
  • Young people in receipt of both Disability Living Allowance (or Personal Independence Payment) and Employment Support Allowance

Other discretionary awards may also be made from the Bursary Fund to young people facing the greatest financial barriers to participation, such as the costs of transport, meals, books and equipment. Schools and colleges determine their own assessment criteria for eligibility for discretionary bursaries. Many colleges and sixth forms use the Bursary Fund to provide free bus passes for eligible students or meet the cost of transport provided through the Cornwall Council scheme.

In addition to the Government 16-19 Bursary Fund, Cornwall Council has approved funding totalling £700,000 in 2013/14 to sixth forms and colleges in order to support students facing financial barriers to Further Education.

To apply for a bursary award, students should apply to the school, college or other education establishment where they are studying.

If a Student loses their bus pass a replacement pass can be issued by the Passenger Transport Unit. The current charge for a replacement pass is £10.00 with an increase of £5 every time an additional lost pass is requested. The pass will be replaced at the discretion of the passenger Transport Unit.

To request a replacement pass please contact the Passenger Transport Unit on 0300 1234 222.