Porthpean Outdoor Education Centre
Porthpean Outdoor Education Centre is situated just outside of St Austell and enjoys spectacular views over the sea and local countryside. Porthpean OE Centre provides more than just a summer camp as it is itself a centre of excellence for outdoor pursuits, open all year round, providing an excellent mobile outdoor activity service across Cornwall. Location map.
The Centre is equipped with its own indoor climbing wall and equipped to provide water and land based educational activities throughout the year. The centre has highly qualified and experienced staff who are able to deliver a range of outdoor activities to a wide range of age groups and ability levels. Most activities take place within easy walking distance of the Centre.
In the summer months the Porthpean Centre transforms yet again into a buzzing camp for activity seeking groups where staff provide hands on outward bound educational activities. Sleeping accommodation consists of large canvas tents all of which have floor boards and mattresses. The camping element is supported by a range of permanent buildings including a centrally heated dining hall, staff lounge, toilet and shower blocks, drying room and First Aid room. Tents are arranged in 'villages', accommodating a maximum of 36 children and up to 4 leaders.
Follow the link below to view the full brochure details of the Porthpean Outdoor Education Centre, showing facilities and activities available during your stay.
- New Classroom for hire
- Hire and Supplies
- Porthpean Outdoor Education Centre brochure
- Terms and Conditions for Booking with Cornwall Outdoors
Bookings and options
To check prices, preview availability and make a booking please use our Online Booking Service
The Porthpean Camp can be booked for a range of three options for residential stay.
- Days: Monday to Friday (5 day/4 night)
- Includes: Accommodation, full catering, 3 full activity days and 2 half activity days, ranging from adventurous activities to educational/cultural events, plus all four evenings social activities. Activities can be increased to 5 full days, subject to availability, for an extra charge.
- Days: Monday to Wednesday - or - Wednesday to Friday (3day/2night)
- Includes: Accommodation, full catering. 1 full activity day and 2 half activity days, where possible the full day will be a water sports day. Extra activity days may be purchased subject to availability.
- Days: Weekend - Friday evening to Sunday afternoon
- Includes: Accommodation, full catering and subject to availability 'activity days' may be booked as extra
Planning your programme
After your booking has been confirmed you will be sent advice
indicating on which days your Centre led activities have been set.
It will be necessary for some schools to have an activity on Monday
or Friday (travelling day). Centre staff will make every effort to
cooperate with your schools arrival and departure times.
Centre staff can assist in most aspects of your programme planning so if you require information beyond that which you have received please telephone in advance of your stay.
- The minimum centre charge is based on a group size of 22.
- One leader place will be free per 10 child paying places.
- Evening activities may be purchased as additional activities for Option B. Please contact the Centre for the latest update on programme availability.
- Please note that with Option B, the allocated activity day may not be on the 2nd day.
- Smoking is not allowed at the Centre.
The Porthpean OE Centre is open all year-round for activities and during the summer months offer residential facilities comprising "tented" villages.
There will be 5 villages of 7 floor boarded tents equipped with vinyl foam mattresses on which to sleep. Each village has a small cabin for two leaders to sleep.
All campers should bring their own sleeping bags and pillows. Each group on site is allocated a village on the basis of accommodating 36 youngsters in 7 tents and 4 staff. It is possible to accommodate slightly bigger groups but please note that this will affect the programme planning of activity days. Group leaders are responsible for the tidiness of their village and for the children's behaviour at all times of the day and night.
For your security whenever multiple groups are in residence the Centre employs an overnight static guard to patrol the centre grounds.
Residents must make their own travel arrangements.
Full catering is supplied for all Options.
- Open canoeing
- Sea kayaking
- Sit on top kayaking
- Kayak and canoe expeditions
- Shelter building
- Rock pooling
- Indoor climbing wall
- High and low ropes course
- Environmental coastal walks
- Team building and personal development through problem solving and adventure challenges
At the Porthpean Centre your evenings are your own. We can however provide a range of activities to keep your group involved in the spirit of activity fostered throughout our Outdoor Centres. If you wish the Porthpean Centre to provide an evenings activity please inform the Centre staff when making your booking.
For those residents who have booked Option B and wish to take
advantage of the 'Activity Evenings' we will make an additional
charge. Please contact the centre for more information on 01726
72901 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
There will be a member of Centre Staff on duty to co-ordinate the evening activity however he/she will not be on site overnight, beyond the length of the evening activity booked.
For those booking our low cost Option C - There are no 'activity evenings' on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
Porthpean Centre optional day bookings
The staff at Porthpean OE Centre can organise various daytime activities for your group. These can be held at the centre or at a venue of your choice. For more on the year round activities on offer please see our mobile activities page or contact the Centre directly on 01726 72901 or email: email@example.com .
Tel: 01726 72901
AALA License No: L9238/R0352