The electoral register

The law changed in June 2014 to a new system called Individual Electoral Registration.

You must be on the register to be able to vote at an election. Once you are registered there are a number of ways you can vote.

Continue reading

We produce two versions of the electoral register every year - the full register and the open register (formerly called the edited register).

The full electoral register lists everyone who is entitled to vote at elections. It is also used by the credit reference agencies.

You can register online. You will need your National Insurance number.

If you need a paper form, please ring us.

The annual register is published on 1 December each year from the electoral information you give us.

After the annual register is published, we update that register under the monthly rolling registration procedure. Applications for registration must be received by our Electoral Services office by a cut off date each month to be included on the register on the first working day of the following month.

Last date for applicationsDate added to the register
10 July 2017 1 August 2017
10 August 2017 1 September 2017


Please note: When an election is due, the deadline to apply to register is 12 working days before polling day.

The open register may be purchased by anyone. Everyone who registers to vote can choose to have their details excluded from the open register.

Remove details from the open register

As well as registering to vote yourself, you can help us improve the accuracy of the register of electors by telling us about persons listed on your household enquiry form who used to live at your property but have now left.

You must still reply to the enquiry form otherwise we won’t know for certain whether or not there are other changes at your address to take into account e.g. new voters moved in.  

Full details of how to reply are printed on the household enquiry form. Please note that we will usually carry out further checks before removing anyone’s name.

You can also use this facility if you have already responded to your enquiry form and wish to advise us of further changes since then.

Remove previous resident from the register

It is a criminal offence to supply false information.

  • British citizens, citizens of the Commonwealth, British dependent territories and the Irish Republic
  • Those living in your household who are 16 and 17 years old (They can vote as soon as they are 18).
  • Those who normally live in your household but are away for the time being. Those on holiday, students in the United Kingdom or in hospital (including voluntary patients in psychiatric hospitals).
  • Anyone who is away working (Unless they are away for more than six months.)
  • Any other residents, lodgers or guests (Short-stay visitors cannot register to vote. It doesn’t matter whether they are staying at a private address, a hostel or a club.)
  • Citizens of member states of the European Union will be initially be registered to vote at local government elections only.  However, if you are a European Union citizen (and not a British or Irish), you must fill in a separate application to vote in European parliamentary elections.
  • Foreign nationals, except for citizens of member states of the European Union
  • People under 16.

Further information about registering to vote can be found at

The full electoral register is open to public inspection but by law it can only be viewed under our supervision.

Only certain people and organisations can have copies of the full electoral register and they can only use it for specified purposes. These include electoral purposes, the prevention and detection of crime and checking your identity when you have applied for credit.

The register is only available for inspection by arrangement with Electoral Services staff at our offices at St Austell.

To arrange an appointment to inspect the register, please either telephone 01209 614373 or e-mail

The council tax register and the electoral register are two separate registers and are completely different.

The council tax register may show the names of the owners and not necessarily the residents of the properties. For this reason, together with legal restrictions, the electoral registration officer is not permitted to take names from the council tax register and put them on the electoral register and vice versa.