Essential maintenance will be taking place on a number of online systems on Sunday 24 June between 10am and 5pm. This may lead to some parts of the website being unavailable at times. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Annual Voter Registration 2017
The Council has a legal duty to review the register of electors each year, by sending a household enquiry form to every household. This is known as the Annual Canvass.
The household enquiry (canvass) form is the way we gather the information we need to keep the register of electors as accurate and complete as possible.
By law, you must complete and return your enquiry form every year, even if you do not intend to vote or do not qualify to vote.
The canvass runs from July to the end of November.
What you need to do
When you get your form, check that all the names printed on the form are still resident and spelt correctly.
If there are no changes to be made to the details printed on the form you can confirm those details are correct by using our dedicated internet, freephone or SMS text registration services. If you wish to know more about these methods of responding, you can find full details on your form together with instructions on how to use them.
You can request a postal vote application form or change your opt out preference for the open register using the internet. You can also request a postal vote application form using the freephone service. You cannot request a postal vote or change your open register preference using SMS text. Please see page 4 of your form for an explanation of the open register.
If you confirm your details using the internet, Freephone or text (SMS) services, it is important that you do not return the form - unless you discover that you’ve made a mistake and need to tell us.
If there are any changes to be made for your household, you also can do these online at www.hef-response.co.uk. Full instructions are printed on the form. Alternatively, you can amend the form and return it by post.
- Annual household enquiry forms will be posted out on 17 July 2017 to all 267,000 households in Cornwall.
- Reminders to non-responding properties will be sent out in mid-September.
- In October, our canvassers will visit households who have still not responded to help people fill out their forms.
- If a canvasser does visit it means that even if you did complete your original form we have unfortunately not received it.
- If you are out when the canvasser calls they will leave a calling card and a new form.
The council will publish the new electoral register on 1 December 2017. The register will contain the names and addresses of persons eligible to vote in elections.
What is the information used for?
We use the information that householders provide on their forms to:
- identify potential voters who aren’t yet registered and invite them to apply for registration
- check whether current voters continue to be resident
- take action to remove the entries of voters who are no longer resident
- check that where no one is currently registered at an address this is because the property is empty or the residents are either not eligible to vote or registered elsewhere.
- correct minor errors (e.g. spelling of names)