Snow and ice in Cornwall
This page will be updated frequently in the event of severe cold weather in Cornwall.
If you use Twitter, we will tweet relevant updates using the tag #CCsnow.
Snow and cold weather
Snow and severe cold weather can cause disruption and can also affect more vulnerable people.
We have created a Snow Advice Pack that contains advice and information on many aspects of severe cold weather including driving, staying safe, keeping warm and useful contacts.
All the information on these pages is included in this pack.
Preparation and advice for cold weather
- Emergency Management has put together some advice for preparing for and dealing with severe cold weather. Please see the menu on the left hand side of this page.
- The Met Office hosts the 'Get Ready for Winter' web pages on behalf of HM Government and partners. These pages give some suggestions for the very practical things that individuals and communities can do to prepare for a wide range of winter weather, including cold, ice & snow, high winds and flooding.
- There is information about the 'Warm home discount scheme' on the .gov website, and the NHS website contains advice on the importance of staying warm, especially for more elderly people.
- If you are or you know someone who is elderly, caring for young children or in poor health and you are worried about fuel bills, debt, keeping safe and warm or your home being cold or damp, you can find out about Winter Wellness and the Winter Wellbeing Guide. Contact the Community Energy Plus helpline on Freephone 0800 954 1956, or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information and advice.
Driving in snow and ice
Driving in snow, ice and wintry conditions requires extra care and preparation, and you should only drive when absolutely necessary. Please read our guidelines on safe winter driving.
The Highways Agency also has a 'Make time for winter' campaign which includes helpful information about preparing your vehicle and planning your journey during severe weather – including links to live updates to help you check the traffic and weather. We have also put this together in a document should you wish to download it:
You can view current travel conditions in Cornwall on the BBC website.
Salting and Gritting
Visit our Gritting and Winter Maintenance pages. Here you can:
- View maps and information about gritting across Cornwall
- View the winter service procedures which contains detailed procedures on how the Council maintains Cornish roads during winter.
- View the areas that will be salted over the next 24 hours on the road conditions and treatment page.
- Watch a winter service video
- Information on clearing snow and ice from pavements yourself.
Follow our treatment @CornwallRoads - Our intended actions are posted automatically (24/7) as soon as we make the decision.
You can view a five day weather forecast for Cornwall on the BBC Cornwall website (Please note that this defaults to Truro but you can choose a more specific area if you wish).