Building Control Service Information
For a speedy proactive service involving all building projects, large or small, professional teams or home owner led, you should first contact Local Authority Building Control, remember we're here to help.
Building Regulations are designed to ensure:
- Health and Safety of Persons in and around buildings
- Energy Conservation
- Access for all
Building Control has the technical knowledge and willingness to assist you to overcome any Building Regulation problem that you may have. We will help to co-ordinate your application with other Local Authority services e.g. planning, highways, environmental health as well as Fire Safety.
Our aim is to provide a service to businesses and householders across Cornwall to help ensure your project runs smoothly and efficiently through the design, approval and construction processes.
We can give free building regulation pre-application advice if required. All you need to do is pick up the phone or email. This really adds value at the pre-planning stage or during the planning process.
Our Surveyors will work alongside you and the Design team from conception of a project through to completion. We work closely with Planning Officers, Fire Authorities and other Local Authority services and will also be pleased to attend pre-application discussions with them.
Our Building Control Service has the following benefits:
- Providing free pre-application advice on all building projects
- Providing a choice of applications - Full Plans or Building Notice
- Carrying out a programme of targeted site inspections to make sure that the work complies with the regulations
- Issuing stage or conditional approvals to allow works on-site to progress as quickly as possible. Use our online form to let us know work has started.
- Our computerised administration and management systems allow us to monitor applications to provide a fast and responsive service
- We have a wealth of local knowledge and experience
- Issuing Completion and Fire Safety Completion Certificates
Customer care standards relating to the planning and regeneration service in our Planning and Regeneration Service Customer Care Standards Document
For more information on how we can help and what services we can provide, please download the following promotional leaflets:
- Domestic services - Local Authority Building Control
- Commercial services - Local Authority Building Control
- Promotional leaflet with a summary of the services we provide
In addition to the above building regulation services, we are also responsible for:
- Demolition - control and advice
- Dangerous structures and public safety
- ESConsult - discretionary services linked with the building regulations.
Copies of decision notices and history searches
Copies are available for which a charge is made, please view our Fees and charges.