Due to some essential maintenance a number of online services will be unavailable from Friday 18 April 8am until Sunday 20 April at 9pm. Unavailable services include; School admissions, Online planning register, library account and catalogue, council tax and benefits system, mapping, building control forms, job applications, my area page, payments and leisure bookings. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Replacement doors and windows
The replacement of windows, rooflights and some doors is controlled work , which must be registered.
There are two methods of doing this;
- submit a building notice application with the appropriate fee to us, or
- use an installer registered under the FENSA or CERTASS self certification schemes
Installers registered under these schemes are able to carry out the work without the need to submit an application to us. On completion of the work the scheme operator will notify us that the work has been carried out, we keep a register of all of these notifications. Enlarging existing openings or providing new openings is not covered by the FENSA or CERTASS schemes.
When replacing windows or doors it must be ensured that:
- the opening parts of windows are not reduced in size so that escape out of the windows is made more difficult
- the ventilation provided to the room is not reduced
- the replacement is thermally efficient. Single glazing is not acceptable except in the case of listed and historic buildings or buildings located within conservation areas
- the provision of background ventilation must be no worse than provided by the existing windows
- there is no risk of falling from opening lights below 800mm