Riding establishment licence

To run a riding establishment (where horses or ponies are hired out for riding or used for riding instruction) in England, Scotland or Wales, you need a licence from the local authority.


Continue reading

Please view the current licensing fees and charges to find out how much you will need to pay. You will be recharged the cost of the vets inspection which will be undertaken by a veterinary surgeon registered on the current RCVS and BVA ‘List of approved riding establishment inspectors’.

Members of the public should not pay for lessons on anyone else’s horse unless they are licensed. If you do and you have an accident you are unlikely to be insured.

A licence is not required if you are simply providing livery (i.e. stabling) facilities for horses.

Applicants must be over 18 years of age. In England and Wales they must have not been disqualified:

  • from keeping a riding establishment
  • from keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • from having custody of animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • from keeping boarding establishments for animals under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963
  • under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 from keeping or owning animals, being able to influence how animals are kept, dealing animals or transporting or being involved in the transporting of animals
  • from owning, keeping dealing or transporting animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006

Applicants must pay the required application fee and comply with any conditions attached to a licence.

Follow this link to view the Riding Establishments Act 1964.

Licences are valid for a year from the date of issue.

There is a comprehensive range of business regulatory support services available to help and advise businesses to be more successful and compliant.

Before deciding an application the Cornwall Council are required to arrange for and consider a report from a suitably qualified  veterinary surgeon or practitioner detailing whether the premises are suitable for a riding establishment and detailing the conditions of the premises and any horses.

Cornwall Council will take into account the following:

  • whether the applicant is suitable and qualified to hold a licence.
  • that consideration will be given to the condition of the horses and that they will be maintained in good health, kept physically fit and where the horse is to be ridden or used during riding instruction, be suitable for that purpose
  • that the animals feet will be trimmed properly and that shoes are fitted properly and are in good condition
  • that there will be suitable accommodation for the horses
  • that for horses maintained on grass there is suitable pasture, shelter and water and that supplementary feed will be provided as and when needed
  • that horses will be provided with suitable food, drink and bedding materials and will be exercised, groomed, rested and visited at suitable intervals
  • that precautions will be taken to reduce the spread of contagious or infectious diseases and that veterinary first aid equipment and medicines will be provided and maintained
  • that appropriate procedures are in place to protect and remove the horses in the case of a fire and that as part of this the name, address and telephone number of the licence holder is displayed outside the premises and fire instructions are displayed
  • that storage facilities for forage, bedding, stable equipment and saddlery are provided

In addition to any other conditions a riding establishment licence is subject to the following conditions:

  • that any horse inspected by an authorised officer and found to need veterinary attention will not be returned to work until the licence holder has obtained a veterinary certificate confirming the horse is fit for work
  • that a horse will not be let out for hire or for use in instruction without the supervision of a responsible person aged 16 years or older, unless the licence holder is satisfied the rider doesn't require supervision
  • that the business will not be left in the charge of someone under 16 years of age
  • that the licence holder holds indemnity insurance
  • that the licence holder keeps a register of all horses in their possession that are three years old or younger and that the register is available for inspection at all reasonable times.

We will aim to have your application determined within 28 days of receipt of a valid and complete application.  However if we have been unable to determine your application in this time a licence wil not be automatically granted due to public safety and animal welfare implications and therefore tacit consent does not apply.  This means you must wait for the council to determine the application before any riding activities can take place.

You can apply for a Riding Establishment Licence by following the relvant links below:

Apply for a licence to operate a riding establishment

Apply to change a riding establishment licence


Please contact Licensing Services in the first instance.

An applicant whose application is refused can appeal to the local magistrates' court.

Please contact Licensing Services in the first instance.

A licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition can appeal to a local magistrates' court.

If you have any concerns regarding a riding establishment in Cornwall please contact Licensing Services.