Dangerous animals licence

The Council has statutory duties placed on it by legislation, to license certain activities and services that involve the keeping, selling, boarding, displaying or hiring out of animals these are:

  • The keeping of an animal boarding establishment.
  • The keeping of any animal controlled by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.
  • Keeping a dog breeding establishment.
  • Carrying on from a premise the business of selling pet animals.
  • The hiring out of horses for payment.
  • Exhibiting to the public wild animals for more than seven consecutive days in any twelve-month period.
Continue reading

This ensures that legal standards are met for animal safety and welfare and, in some cases, for the safety of the public.

If you have any questions regarding the forms or require assistance in completing them, then please contact the Council’s licensing department.

During the transition period from district councils to Cornwall Council all licence renewals will be processed in accordance with the former district council conditions already in place.

All new applications will require the applicants to comply with the current models standards for the type of activity intended to be carried on.

Please note that planning permission may be required to carry on the above activities.

The keeping of certain species of wild animals is controlled by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.  No person may keep any dangerous wild animal without first obtaining a licence.

Anyone wishing to keep any animal of a kind listed in the schedule of dangerous wild animals with the exception of zoos, circuses, pet shops or registered establishments for carrying out animal experiments.

You can download the list of Dangerous Wild Animals from the DEFRA website.

Download a dangerous wild animals application form

You will need to complete an application form and return it together with the fee to your local area licensing office.

Please view the current licensing fees and charges to find out how much you will need to pay.

The Council will instruct a veterinary surgeon to inspect the premises at which the animal(s) is/will be kept and any animal(s) at those premises.  Once the inspections have been carried out and a satisfactory report has been received, a licence for twelve months can be issued, if there are any problems or queries raised by the vet, the Council may consider granting a licence with conditions attached.

An authorised officer would then carry out a further inspection during the twelve months of the licence to ensure that these conditions were being complied with.

On certain occasions a vet may recommend that a licence is not issued, if after consideration the Council agree and decide that a licence should not be issued, the applicant has a right of appeal to the Magistrates Court against that decision.

Please contact Licensing Services if you require further information.

The Cornwall Council is committed to giving an equal service to all.  This means that customers should not be treated any differently because of their gender, race, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.

Things can go wrong, and we can make mistakes.  If you are not happy with the service you have received, or the way you have been treated, we want to know.  This helps us to improve the service we provide.

It is best to try to settle the complaint directly with the staff responsible and at the time you are unhappy with the service let us know by:

  • Telling a member of staff
  • Completing a comments, compliments and complaints form
  • Writing, telephoning or e-mailing